What to do if you have concerns for your student.
Step 1:
Contact your child’s teacher(s). Relay your concerns to their teacher and discuss what is being observed in the classrooms. Your child’s teacher is the best person to provide information on your child as they are working with them several hours a day. Frequently, communication between home and school is what is needed to address the problem or concern.
Step 2:
If your child continues to struggle academically due to behavior, possible learning disabilities, or due to a diagnosis (e.g. ADHD, epilepsy), discuss with your student's teacher the possibility of starting the Response to Intervention (RTI) process. There are 2 phases to RTI, with each tier involving more intensive interventions designed specifically for your child’s needs.
Step 3
If RTI is ineffective in increasing your child’s educational performance, he or she may be referred for a 504 plan evaluation OR an initial special education evaluation. If your child is in need of accommodations due to a diagnosis such as ADD, a 504 plan may be the best option. If you child is displaying characteristics of a learning disability and demonstrating a need for specially designed instruction, an Individual Education Plan may be more appropriate.
*As of August 15th, 2009, the RTI process is required as part of a special education evaluation. Without documentation of Response to Intervention being implemented and subsequently ineffective, the multidisciplinary team lacks enough data to make a special education eligibility determination.
Event Calendar